The pottery was founded in 1949 in a small terraced house by brothers Colin and Desmond Rawson with initial funding from a friend and local business man, Philip Clappison. The factory's earliest pieces were mostly designed by Colin Rawson, these included Character Jugs and posy vases with attached animal figures. Their products sold well and they moved to larger premises and took on their first employee in 1950.
Ceramics of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s Ceramics of the 1950s-1970s were heavily influenced by both the US and Scandinavian designs becoming more fluid in shape and colourful, initially with pop-art transfer designs and then moving towards more earthy tones of the 1970s. In the 1970s Poole pottery developed its Delphis range with bright vivid colours on earthenware plates and dishes.Wiki info
During the 1960s, Hornsea Pottery had become the biggest employer in the town and Hornsea Pottery had become so successful that the need for increased production called for expansion. Plans for further development at Hornsea were frustrated by local government objections, so locations outside the town were sought. A number of sites for the second factory were considered and Lancaster was chosen and the new 'Pottery in a Garden' opened in 1974. Unfortunately, there were many teething problems and it took factory workers longer to train to the higher standards required for the newly introduced brown Vitramic body. Despite this shaky start the first three ranges produced at the Lancaster factory received Design Centre Awards and with them Hornsea Pottery enhanced its worldwide reputation. The Lancaster site only lasted for twelve years. Despite overcoming the early difficulties and its eventual profit making, it could not stand up against the economic climate of the time. It closed in 1988.
Related pins: · Kd Hyper Elite Socks White · Mild Contact Dermatitis ·